Here’s 17 success tips to help you quit smoking once and for all.
- Instead of trying to slowly cut down on smoking, quit all at once.
- Do not carry cigarettes with you.
- Quit smoking one day at a time. Do not think about tomorrow, the next week, the next month or next year. Concentrate on breathing fresh air from the time you wake up in the morning until you go to sleep at night.
- Develop the attitude that you are respecting and honouring your body by being a non-smoker. You are quitting because you care about yourself.
- Be proud that you are a non-smoker.
- Realise that routine situations could trigger the urge for a cigarette, such as drinking coffee, drinking alcohol, social events with smoking friends and after meals.
- Aim to maintain your normal routine. If a situation or event seems difficult, leave it and go back to it later. Don’t feel you must give up any activity forever.
- Everything you did as a smoker you will learn to do at least as well, and maybe better as a non-smoker.
- Drink plenty of water, it will help flush out the nicotine and poisons from the body.
- To avoid gaining weight, eat vegetables and fruit instead of sweets.
- If you are concerned about gaining weight, do some regular exercise.
- If you have problems in your life while you are quitting, smoking is no solution.
- No matter how long you have stopped smoking, you cannot ever safely take another puff.
- Do not think about how much you want one cigarette, instead ask yourself how you would feel about going back to smoking as much as you used to.
- Save the money you usually spend on cigarettes. After a week or a month buy yourself something you really want.
- In the unlikely event you have a craving for a cigarette, practice deep breathing exercises.
- Tell people around you that you have quit smoking.
There are only two good reasons to take a puff once you quit smoking:
- you want to go back to your old level of smoking until it cripples and then kills you.
- you enjoy quitting and want to make it last forever.
If you don’t like any of these options, then never take another puff ever again.